Job Summary: Responsible for all work performed in the bindery/finishing areas. Manage production in the department, responsible for productivity, quality, timeliness, and cost control of work. Assign work and give instructions to personnel. Plan, organize, influence and control issues related to efficient bindery processes and effective personnel. Work cooperatively with all internal departments, including all production departments, shipping, customer service, and sales. Oversee department personnel, including performance and employee relations, and hiring.
- Maintain efficient and productive operations.
- Check each operator’s work for accuracy and production rate.
- Motivate people to perform in a professional manner, maintaining maximum rates of production with minimum waste.
- Maintain schedules to maximize labor and equipment productivity.
- Produce products of high quality and accuracy.
- Motivate, coach, and counsel employees.
- Manage temporary labor.
- Responsible for making recommendations for upgrades as well as repairs on equipment.
- Maintain a safe work environment. Develop and communicate house-keeping standards.
- Communicate as necessary with employees, other departments, and upper management
- Consult with Plant Manager when necessary to answer work related questions.
- Provide on-the-job training and oversee departmental training program.
- Work closely with human resources on HR issues, including, but not limited to hiring, promotion and termination issues.
- Provide regular feedback to employees throughout the year, and complete annual written performance reviews.
- Enforce all company rules and policies consistently.
Skills and Abilities Required:
· Thorough knowledge of the operation and function of all bindery tasks and equipment.
· Knowledge of the entire print process. Ability to set up, operate, and maintain all equipment in the bindery at the optimal level.
· Ability to supervise and train people.
· Ability to prioritize effectively in scheduling work through the department.
· Five or more years of progressively responsible experience in a print bindery.
· Must know folding machines, cutters, stitchers, collating equipment, and perfect binder.
· Strong problem-solving, decision-making, and organizational abilities.
· Good communication skills.
· Basic computer skills, experience with EFI software a plus.
Apply for this position